We all get the nibbles when sitting in front of the TV, whether it’s watching a game of footy like the World Cup or indulging in an extended viewing session of a favourite TV box set, we like to eat.
Make Your Own Healthy TV Snacks – It’s Easy
Many bought snacks are full of additives and excessive amounts of salt and sugar. So, making your own snacks, to share, is the best way to stay healthy and avoid ‘bad food’ temptation.
Here, at Lucy Bee, we have a collection of people who love to make healthy, tasty and good-looking food.
So, after a quick chat the cooks amongst us came up with a selection of TV snacks that will keep you satisfied.
Mexican Black Bean Dip
Serves 10 (or 4 - 6 as a main dish, served with brown rice)
Cooking Time: 1 hour
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped finely
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 4 tsp. curry powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 x 400g tins black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400g tin of tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of water
- Handful of coriander, chopped
- Optional - a few jalapenos, chopped
- Optional - grated cheese (omit if wanting vegan and for dairy free, choose a lactose free option)
- 2 tbsp. Lucy Bee Coconut Oil
- Himalayan salt and ground black pepper to season
- Sauté the carrots, onion, celery and garlic in the Lucy Bee over a low heat. Start by stirring together well then cover the pan and allow to cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the cumin and curry powder and stir.
- Add the black beans, tomatoes and water and stir together. Heat until it starts to bubble.
- ￼￼Simmer for approx. 50 minutes, stirring occasionally to stop it from sticking.
- Stir in the coriander and jalapenos if using.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Put into an oven-proof dish, top with grated cheese and place under a hot grill until the cheese starts to bubble.
Here's another healthy TV snack, one that doesn't require cooking.
Guacamole Dip Recipe
Serves 4 -6
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 small red onion, chopped (40g)
- 1 large ripe tomato, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- Handful of coriander, chopped
- Juice from a lime
- Himalayan salt and ground black pepper
- Halve and stone the avocados and scoop out the flesh, then mash in a large bowl.
- Add to the avocado the tomato, onion, jalapeno, coriander and lime juice. Mix altogether well and season.
If you fancy tortilla tips be sure to use only the very best and not to eat too many! Supplement your dippers with fresh veg or some toasted wholemeal pitta.
Top Dip Tip
Keep the stone from the avocado if you are not serving immediately. Place the stone in the bowl with the Guacamole and cover. This neat tip will stop the avocado from going brown.
About Lucy Bee Limited
Any information provided by us is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. We always recommend referring your health queries to a qualified medical practitioner.
Lucy Bee is a lifestyle brand selling food, skincare and soap products all completely free from palm oil and with minimal use of plastic. Lucy Bee is concerned with Fair Trade, organic, ethical and sustainable living, recycling and empowering people to make informed choices and select quality, natural products for their food and their skin.