For the packaging of our Lucy Bee Cleansing Cream we have decided to use aluminium. In this blog we will cover why we chose to use aluminium instead of an alternative like glass or plastic.
- Aluminium is 100% recyclable. It can be continuously and repeatedly recycled without losing its quality, making this a sustainable option. Most of the aluminium that has been extracted is still being recycled and reused.
- Aluminium provides the best protection against UV rays, water, and oxygen for a product, as it provides a barrier.
- Once opened, the cleansing cream inside is still protected against any impurities, moisture or air getting into the product (unlike packaging which uses pumps, including a glass bottle with a plastic pump), due to the way the aluminium can be shaped and used, helping to protect the product.
- It is much easier to almost fully empty an aluminium tube versus something that has a pump, which means that you’re not left with product at the bottom of a bottle which you can’t get out!
- There is an internal lacquer which acts as a protective layer between the aluminium and the cleansing cream, which means that there is not contact between the aluminium tube and the cleansing cream. The lacquer lining prevents any reaction between the product and the aluminium. If there wasn’t a lining it can impact the integrity of the aluminium, and also the quality of the product.
- Aluminium is strong (doesn’t break easily), flexible (you’ll notice it dents but you can get the product out, reducing waste) and lightweight (which reduces energy in delivery).
- One of the biggest issues with aluminium is the amount of energy it takes to make new aluminium, alongside the waste product which is damaging to the environment if not controlled. However, if we continue to recycle aluminium (which as mentioned above can continuously be recycled), the energy consumption of recycled aluminium is reduced to as much as 95% compared to the raw product.
This also ensures that we can prevent the risk of damage to the environment from waste products.
This is why it is so important to make sure that we recycle aluminium products whatever they are, as we can help to make sure that the need for new aluminium is reduced.
Respecting the environment is a big part of our ethics and we consider this when looking at the packaging that we use for our products. We use minimal plastic and so this wasn’t even an option for the packaging of our cleanser.
We do use recyclable glass in our range but for the Cleansing Cream we believe that aluminium is a better alternative to keep this product fresh, free from contaminants, and means we do not have to use a plastic pump.
Even though the aluminium tube dents easily, we like to say “better a dent in the packaging than a dent in the planet”!
Daisy, MSc PGDip ANutr, is a Registered Associate Nutritionist with a Master's Degree in Public Health Nutrition, and a Post Graduate Diploma in Eating Disorders and Clinical Nutrition, both of which are Association for Nutrition (AFN) accredited. She, also, has a BSc degree in Psychology and Cognitive Neuroscience; and has completed an AFN accredited Diet Specialist Nutrition course.
Daisy has worked for an NHS funded project, the Diabetes Prevention Programme; and shadowed a nutritionist in Harley Street.
About Lucy Bee Limited
Any information provided by us is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. We always recommend referring your health queries to a qualified medical practitioner.
Lucy Bee is a lifestyle brand selling food, skincare and soap products all completely free from palm oil and with minimal use of plastic. Lucy Bee is concerned with Fair Trade, organic, ethical and sustainable living, recycling and empowering people to make informed choices and select quality, natural products for their food and their skin.