Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Allergy Information: Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Lactose Free, Dairy Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
- 250g gluten free pasta (macaroni or penne work well, we stock a vegan Gluten Free Penne here)
- CHEESE SAUCE:
- 20g Lucy Bee Coconut Oil
- 40g gluten free plain flour
- 500ml Lucy Bee Coconut Milk
- 150g vegan cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 4 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- Nutmeg, a small pinch
- A pinch of Lucy Bee Himalayan Salt and Lucy Bee Whole Black Peppercorns, ground
- BREADCRUMB TOPPING:
- 100g gluten free breadcrumbs
- 50g vegan cheese, grated
- Handful of parsley, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp. Lucy Bee Coconut Oil, melted
- Preheat the oven to 180C, 350F, gas mark 4.
- Boil water in a large pot and add your pasta, cook as directed by the packet instructions until it has just gone past al dente.
- Drain and rinse the pasta with cold water to stop it from cooking further. Set aside whilst you make the cheese sauce and breadcrumb toppings.
- FOR THE CHEESE SAUCE:
- On a medium heat add the Lucy Bee Coconut Oil to a saucepan and cook until melted, then sift the flour into the oil.
- Stir the flour to form a paste and cook this for a minute (this is known as a roux).
- Lower the heat and slowly add in the milk in small amounts and continue to stir, you may wish to use a balloon whisk for this to get rid of all the lumps.
- Once all the milk has been added, and lumps have been whisked out, put onto a medium heat and keep stirring until the sauce has thickened.
- Once thickened, take off the heat and add in the vegan cheese, Dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, nutmeg, and ground Lucy Bee Himalayan Salt and Lucy Bee Whole Black Peppercorns, stir until the cheese is melted and combined in the white sauce.
- Add in the cooked pasta to the sauce and stir until all the pasta is coated in the cheese sauce.
- Pour the mixture into an ovenproof dish (I used a 25x18cm dish).
- FOR THE BREADCRUMB TOPPING:
- Combine and stir the breadcrumbs, vegan cheese, parsley together.
- Cover the macaroni and cheese sauce with this mixture and drizzle the melted coconut oil over.
- Place in the oven and cook for 20 minutes, until it starts to bubble and the crumb topping crisps up.
Lucy Bee is a lifestyle brand selling food, skincare and soap products all completely free from palm oil and with minimal use of plastic. Lucy Bee is concerned with Fair Trade, organic, ethical and sustainable living, recycling and empowering people to make informed choices and select quality, natural products for their food and their skin.