Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Allergy Information: Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Lactose Free, Dairy Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
- 3 tbsp. milled flax seed + 8 tbsp water
- 250ml Lucy Bee Coconut Milk
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice – roughly 1 ½ lemons
- 130g Lucy Bee Coconut Sugar
- 80g Lucy Bee Coconut Oil, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 275g self raising gluten free flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- (optional 1 ½ tsp Lucy Bee Chai Mix)
- 2 apples, peeled and grated (note. Use 1 tbsp. of the lemon juice on the grated apple to prevent browning)
- Preheat the oven to 180C, 350G, gas mark 4. Line an 8inch cake tin with parchment paper (I used a round cake tin baking paper liner).
- I would recommend doing the next two step before you start weighing out and prepping everything else as they need to be left for at least 5 minutes.
- To make the flax egg, in a cup add your milled flaxseed and your water, and stir and combine. Leave to the side to stand for at least 5 minutes.
- In the measuring jug with the Lucy Bee Coconut Milk add 1 tbsp. of lemon juice and stir. Leave to the side to stand for at least 5 minutes.
- Whisk together the flax egg and the coconut sugar, until they have incorporated.
- Then add in the Lucy Bee Coconut Milk, Lucy Bee Coconut Oil, tbsp. of lemon juice, and vanilla extract, and whisk again until the mix has fully blended together.
- In a separate bowl add the self raising gluten free flour, baking soda, baking powder, and if using the Lucy Bee Chai Mix and stir together.
- Sieve the dry ingredients into the wet ingredient, and stir carefully to combine.
- Once mixed, add in the grated apples and stir again to distribute the apple through the cake mix.
- Pour the mix into your cake tin, and bake for 40-45 minutes. Check to see if the cake has cooked by placing a sharp knife into the cake, the knife should come out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then remove it and place it onto a cooling rack until it has completely cooled.
- Perfect served with icing sugar, and vegan ice cream or custard!
Lucy Bee is a lifestyle brand selling food, skincare and soap products all completely free from palm oil and with minimal use of plastic. Lucy Bee is concerned with Fair Trade, organic, ethical and sustainable living, recycling and empowering people to make informed choices and select quality, natural products for their food and their skin.