8 x 150g Spearmint, Basil, & Clove Natural Exfoliating Soap
Our Spearmint, Basil and Clove Exfoliating Natural Soap is traditionally made with 100% coconut oil and uses our Extra Virgin Fair Trade Organic Raw Coconut Oil.
It includes crushed coconut shell to naturally exfoliate and we’ve chosen this particular blend of organic, pure essential oils for their refreshing scent.
Like all of our Soaps, this lathers really easily when rubbed between wet hands and can be used on the body as often as required. As with all soaps, avoid contact with eyes and if you should get some in your eyes, rinse thoroughly with clean water.
As well as being Fair Trade, our Soap range is produced in the UK, by a company originally set up to provide employment and opportunity in an otherwise deprived area.
No Palm Oil
Many soaps list palm oil in their ingredients but we choose not to use it in ours, even sustainable palm oil, due to its negative impact on the environment, habitat, animals and eco-systems.
There’s hardly a day goes by without reading in the press about deforestation for palm oil production and the fact that the very existence of orangutans is threatened because of this. We're proud to confirm that no palm oil is used in our range of Natural Soaps.
How Soap is Made
The traditional way of making soap is by saponification – a chemical reaction between two natural ingredients: a fat (coconut oil) and a strong alkali (such as sodium hydroxide).
This ancient and original way of producing soap is exactly how Lucy Bee Soap is made. We use sustainable, natural ingredients rather than petroleum and synthetic and artificial ingredients, which is the way many beauty and cleansing bars are created.
The process involved in making our Soap is as follows:
Coconut oil is mixed with sodium hydroxide, an alkali, during a process known as saponification which creates a stable soap base to form into pellet shapes, called soap noodles.
- The pure, organic, essential oils and crushed coconut shell are added, where applicable and mixed into the soap noodles.
- The soap noodles pass through a machine to form one continuous block, which is then cut into smaller, individual soap bars.
- Our logo is stamped into each bar and then checked to make sure each bar is perfect.
- The individual bars are now wrapped in recyclable flow wrap, to keep each bar fresh, before being placed into its own recyclable, biodegradable box, ready for you to choose.
Lucy Bee Soap is Free From:
- Palm oil – has environmental issues and adversely affects local livelihoods
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) and Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) – man-made and can strip skin of its natural oils
- Artificial fragrances – derived from products which can be potentially harmful to health
- Preservatives – have been linked to health problems
- Petroleum – can be carcinogenic
To protect the unique formulation of our soaps and to prolong the scent of the essential oils (where applicable), these need to be wrapped in a plastic sachet, which we then pack in an FSC recyclable card carton.
Soaps are normally made from palm oil and a soap made wholly from coconut oil, as ours is, is uncommon.
With its better foaming and lathering qualities than soaps made with palm oil, this unique formula means the soap can sweat, which presents something of a challenge to us in storing it, hence the use of flow wrap.
We realise that this is not ideal and assure you that the packaging weight is minimised, and the material is recyclable.
We continue to investigate for suitable alternatives and, if found, we will look to replace this with a biodegradable solution.
The FSC card carton is recyclable, compostable and biodegradable.
- Being made of coconut oil, will this soap clog the drains?
Our Soap manufacturer confirms, “The coconut oil in the soaps will not clog drains as it is carried away by the soap suds in rinsing.
2. Are Lucy Bee Soaps nut free?
Our range of soaps are nut and peanut free in their ingredients. However, they are produced in an environment which uses nut oils (such as almond oil and argan oil, for example) for other brands’ soaps and whilst the production line is cleaned thoroughly before our Soaps are made, this production line is not cleaned to food grade standard.
We would always advise to err on the side of caution and if in doubt, do a small patch test on skin before using our Soaps.
3. Is the glycerin in your Soaps from palm oil?
No, it isn’t. The glycerin in the Lucy Bee Soap isn’t actually added, it is created by the reaction of the base chemical on coconut oil.
Saponification is the process where a fat is treated with an alkali which is the traditional way to produce soap. Coconut oil contains medium-chain triglycerides, such as lauric acid, capric acid, caprylic acid and myristic acid, and these are converted to glycerin.
Rest assured, there is no palm oil in our soap, and we would never use it in any Lucy Bee product.
4. Can I use this soap on my face?
We don’t recommend using our Soap on your face. The purpose of soap is to remove dirt, grime and oil from the skin. Though our Soaps are natural, if you were to use these on your face, over time it could be harsh on the face. The skin here is thinner than the rest of your body and can become sensitive.
We have a skincare range out which is dermatologically approved, and this is our recommended option for use on your face.
- Sodium Cocoate
- Aqua (Water)
- Coconut Acid
- Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil
- Sodium Citrate
- Sodium Chloride
- Mentha Spicata (Spearmint) Oil
- Cocos Nucifers (Coconut) Shell Powder
- Ocimum Basilicum (Sweet Basil) Oil
- Eugenia Caryophyllata (Clove) Bud Oil
Our Soap is NOT tested on animals. It is:
- COSMOS ORGANIC
- Fair Trade
- Palm Oil Free
Before using any of our soaps, we recommend doing a small patch test on your skin since we’re all different and what suits one person, may not suit another.